Thursday, April 26, 2012

Seaside Friends by Joe Morgan

For my artist trading card, I wanted to create this under sea scene after getting some inspiration from a piece of Robin’s Nest paper that reminded me of ocean waves.

I started off with one of Want2Scrap’s Chipboard ATC’s. I love the weight of these and they are nice and thick so they don’t bend when you put glue or paint on them. I covered the ATC with Zip Dry adhesive to adhere my piece of Robin’s Nest paper. I wanted my background to be glossy, but not as glossy as the mermaid, so I covered the Robin’s Nest paper with PPA Gloss which gives a nice glossy, but satin like finish depending on how you apply it. After that, I inked the edges with a Charcoal Cat’s Eye ink pad from Clearsnap.

For the mermaid, I used a Stampendous cling stamp, and colored with Copic markers. Then I cut out the mermaid and covered her with Sakura Crystal Lacquerand set aside to dry. If you’re wondering, the seahorse is part of the mermaid stamp.

For the word Friends, I used Want2Scrap’s Chipboard Sentiments – Words of Love. First, I covered the word with pearl colored acrylic paint, and then used alcohol inks to add color, and then a light coat of clear crackle paint to finish it off. I also used the same colors of alcohol ink to dab a little matching color on the bottom part of my ATC to make my ocean floor.

After all of my pieces were ready, I used some more Crystal Lacquer to adhere the mermaid the the ATC, and then the word friends on top of the mermaid.

To finish my ATC, I used bling from two different packs of Want2Scrap bling. I used Maxxi Girl Swirls in Brown and the Finesse Swirls in the new LeCreme Pearls color. The mermaid stamp showed her with a braid or string tied around her hair with seashells on it. I covered that with the brown rhinestones and some of the LeCreme Pearls. I just cut off what I needed and placed them one at a time. I also put some down in the sand as well as a couple of large swirls to show the movement of the water. I just happen to love mermaids and seahorses, so I had a great time making this.

6 comments:

  1. This card is card is truly gorgeous! I would have never imagined this would have been handmade. It is completely amazing to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so gorgeous, Joe! We absolutely adore it! Oh the bling!! Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seriously loving this, the way you used the swirls is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful that I can't even believe it!!!! Did Picasso do this?! A M A Z I IN G!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe this is so BEAUTIFUL!!! This is by far one of your best pieces ever! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover