Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Art Journal Background Tutorial

I wanted to share with you this tutorial on how to create this background. It is amazing what a little bit of paint, paper, and glue and create. This is the beginning of our background...first use a base of Gesso to prep the original paper. Then using adhesive and Modge Podge glue down the pattern paper.  I also added some wads of tissue paper to create extra texture. I wanted the image to looks like rolling hills of sand.



Now comes paint. I added several layers of paint in complementing colors to create depth. I rubbed it on with my fingers and really got it in the nooks.


I added even more paint such as these lines of gold metallic paint. I did the same to create the sky, using various colors of blue and a few streaks of white.


Next comes the colorful part! To create the the umbrellas I dug into my scraps of paper and paper pieced the umbrellas. I then cut out birds and used a black pen to define the edges.


Next up...blinging it up with tons of  Want2Scrap goodies!  I used the Fancy Wave Bling Borders and added them to the bottoms of the umbrellas. 


 The Finesse Swirls in LeCreme Pearls were perfect to  create the illusion of rolling hills in the sand. A few of the Blue Green Rhinestones Baby Bling  added that little extra "something special" to these pages.


And here is our final project!


I am hoping you are now feeling creative and want to create a few designs of your own.


Want2Scrap Products:

Cross Promotional Products:

Other Products:
Pattern Paper- Studio Calico, Pink Paislee, Lily Bee Designs, My Minds Eye, Websters Pages
Stamps- Unity Designs (Christy Tomlinson SHE ART Line)
Pens- Scarlet Lime, Faber-Castell
Paint- Liquitex, Lumiere Light Body Metallic Acrylic
Modge Podge (Matte and Sparkel)- Plaid
Glitter Sand- Magic Scraps
Rub-ons- Fancy Pants, Black River Designs, Studio Calico
Gesso- Liquitex

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting tutorial Mimi!! Thanks You sooo much! Your project is AMAZINg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Mimi this is great, love the bright colors and the amazing bling, you are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover