Friday, December 2, 2011

Nestaboard and Nestabling holiday ornaments


Hey there!  I love to make handmade photo ornaments for the Christmas tree every year.  Last weekend we had our annual backyard photo session for our holiday card and I was able to capture a cute one of my girls to use on a photo ornament.  This year, I was feeling paint-y, glitter-y and purple!  In order to accomplish the many layers of paint, glitter and glue I had in mind, I needed to turn to a quality chipboard base....Want2Scrap Nestaboard to the rescue!


To accomplish the shabby look I love, I began with a layer of acrylic paint from Eco Green Crafts.


An easy way to to get a peeled paint look is to lightly press your still wet painted piece onto a non stick craft sheet and then quickly lift it back up.  Presto!  Gorgeous shabby results!


To add a little purple to the mix, I used a watered down purple acrylic paint and dry brushed from the edges of the Nestaboard Labels Nine towards the middle.  I did these paint treatments on both sides of the Nestaboard.


Once my paint layers were dry, I applied Nestabling Labels Nine Purple Rhinestone to the Nestaboard and removed the top three purple bling from the Nestabling frame to accomodate the shanked snowflake button that I planned to insert through my crop-o-dile punched hole.  In addition to the Nestabling frame, I went to town with liquid glue, chunky glitter, fabric dimensional paint and fine glitter on the front of the ornament.


As you can see in the photo above, the button shank is available on the backside of the Nestaboard and can serve as a hanger for the ornament.


Despite literally 5 different layers of wet paint and glue Nestaboard holds its shape nicely without warping!  I love that!  The ultimate opportunity to go "shabby"!


My finished ornament has lots of happy sparkle...starting with the twinkle in my girls' eyes!


Remember how I removed three purple bling from the Nestabling in the step above?  I was able to use one of those available gems to add a custom purple touch to my button snowflake using Beacon Adhesives 3in1 Advanced Craft Glue


The frosty white frame was achieved with dimensional fabric glue in white pearl topped with micro glitter...very sparkly snow on a winter's morning.  It looks great against the purple Nestabling!


Another year of handmade photo ornaments in the books!  I love this creative tradition...I hope it inspires you to incorporate photos and Want2Scrap into your holiday art pieces as well.  Thanks ever so much for coming by today....I so appreciate it!!!


Want2Scrap Supplies:

Cross Promotional Products:

Other Products:
Twine: The Twinery
Glitter: Martha Stewart
Stamp: Creative Imagination
Ink: Stampin Up!
Punch: Crop-o-dile
Crafts supply: button, beads, Cardstock Scraps

10 comments:

  1. Sweeeet! You've added some of my favorite things with bling and paint and a perfectly used button together to highlight those girls! Love it! :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your beautiful ornament, it is my favorite color and would look lovely on my Christmas tree with my little one's picture in it. I love all the use of the Nestabling and paint. Just stunning as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ornament. Great idea.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love handmade ornaments! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a neat idea! Came out really great. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this frame! I am going to mark this as a favorite and make this project! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat idea! I can't wait to try this out with pictures of my grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've recently gotten into nestabilites and love them. Your projects are cool!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover